Peer review publications in international journals (*corresponding author)
1. Cheng C, Tang RQ, Xiong L, Hector RE, Bai FW, Zhao XQ*. 2018. Association of improved oxidative stress tolerance and alleviation of glucose repression with superior xylose utilization capability by a natural isolate of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biotechnology for Biofuels, 11:28.
2. Zhang F, Zhao XQ*, Bai FW. 2018. Improvement of cellulase production in Trichoderma reesei Rut-C30 by overexpression of a novel regulatory gene Trvib-1. Bioresource Technology 247: 676-683.
3. Zhang MM, Zhang KY, Memhood MA, Zhao ZBK, Bai FW, Zhao XQ*. 2017. Deletion of acetate transporter gene ADY2 improved tolerance of Saccharomyces cerevisiae against multiple stresses and enhanced ethanol production in the presence of acetic acid. Bioresource Technology 245(Pt B):1461-1468.
4. Chen BL, Wan C, Memhood MA, Chang JS, Bai FW, Zhao XQ*. 2017. Manipulating environmental stresses and stress tolerance of microalgae for enhanced efficiency of biorefinery-A review. Bioresource Technology 244(Pt 2):1198-1206.
5. Khatun MM, Yu XS, Kondo A, Bai FW, Zhao XQ*. 2017. Improved ethanol production at high temperature by consolidated bioprocessing using Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain engineered with artificial zinc finger protein. Bioresource Technology 245(Pt B):1447-1454.
6. Li YH, Zhang XY, Xiong L, M. Mehmood A, Zhao XQ*, Bai FW. 2017. On-site cellulase production and efficient saccharification of corn stover employing cbh2 overexpressing Trichoderma reesei with novel induction system. Bioresource Technology 238:643-649.
7. Khatun MM, Liu CG, Zhao XQ*, Bai FW*. 2017. Consolidated ethanol production from Jerusalem artichoke tubers at elevated temperature by Saccharomyces cerevisiae engineered with inulinase expression through cell surface display. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 44(2):295-301
8. Zhang XY, Li YH, Zhao XQ*, Bai FW. 2017. Constitutive cellulase production from glucose using the recombinant Trichoderma reesei strain overexpressing an artificial transcription activator. Bioresource Technology 223:317-322.
9. Cheng C, Zhang MM, Xue C, Bai FW, Zhao XQ*. 2017. Development of stress tolerant Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains by metabolic engineering: new aspects from cell flocculation and zinc supplementation (Invited review). Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering 123(2): 141-146.
10. Zhang F, Bai FW, Zhao XQ*. 2016. Enhanced cellulase production from Trichoderma reesei Rut-C30 by engineering with an artificial zinc finger protein library. Biotechnology Journal 11(10):1282-1290.
11. Li YH, Liu CG, Bai FW, Zhao XQ*. 2016. Overproduction of cellulase by Trichoderma reesei RUT C30 through batch-feeding of synthesized low-cost sugar mixture. Bioresource Technology 216: 503-510.
12. Zhao XQ*, Xiong L, Zhang MM, Bai FW. 2016. Towards efficient bioethanol production from agricultural and forestry residues: exploration of unique natural microorganisms in combination with advanced strain engineering. Bioresource Technology 215: 84-91.
13. Cheng C, Zhao XQ*, Zhang MM, Bai FW. 2016. Absence of Rtt109p, a fungal-specific histone acetyltransferase, results in improved acetic acid tolerance of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS Yeast Research 16(2): fow010.
14. Alam A, Vandamme D, Wan C, Zhao XQ, Foubert I, Wang ZM, Muylaert K, Yuan ZH. 2016. Bioflocculation as an innovative harvesting strategy for microalgae. Reviews in Environmental Science and Bio/Technology 15(4): 573-583.
15. Zhang XY, Zhao XQ*, Wan C, Chen BL, Bai FW. 2016. Efficient biosorption of cadmium by the self-flocculating microalga Scenedesmus obliquus AS-6-1. Algal Research 16:427-433.
16. Chen CY, Kao AL, Tsai ZC, Chow TJ, Chang HY, Zhao XQ, Chen PT, Su HY, Chang JS. 2016. Expression of type 2 diacylglycerol acyltransferse gene DGTT1 from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii enhances lipid production in Scenedesmus obliquus. Biotechnology Journal 11(3): 336-344.
17. Khatun MM, Li YH, Liu CG*, Zhao XQ, Bai FW*. 2015. Fed-batch saccharification and ethanol fermentation of Jerusalem artichoke stalks by an inulinase producing Saccharomyces cerevisiae MK01. RSC Advances 5:107112-107118.
18. Zhang MM, Zhao XQ*, Cheng C, Bai FW. 2015. Improved growth and ethanol fermentation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in the presence of acetic acid by overexpression of SET5 and PPR1. Biotechnology Journal 10(12):1903-1911.
19. Wan C, Zhang MM, Fang Q, Xiong L, Zhao XQ*, Hasunuma T, Bai FW, Kondo A. 2015. Impact of zinc sulfate addition on dynamic metabolic profiling of Saccharomyces cerevisiae subjected to long term acetic acid stress treatment and identification of key metabolites involved in antioxidant effect of zinc. Metallomics 7:322-332.
20. Ma C, Wei XW, Sun CH, Zhang F, Xu JR, Zhao XQ*, Bai FW. 2015. Improvement of acetic acid tolerance of Saccharomyces cerevisiae using a zinc-finger-based artificial transcription factor and identification of novel genes involved in acetic acid tolerance. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 99(5): 2441-9.
21. Alam A, Wan C, Zhao XQ*, Chen LJ, Chang JS, Bai FW*. 2015. Enhanced removal of Zn2+ or Cd2+ by the self-flocculating Chlorella vulgaris JSC-7. Journal of Hazardous Materials 289: 38-45.
22. Wan C, Md. Alam A, Zhao XQ*, Zhang XY, Guo SL, Ho S, Chang JS, Bai FW. 2015. Current progress and future prospect of microalgal biomass harvest using various flocculation technologies. Bioresource Technology 184: 251-257.
23. Liu CG, Liu LY, Zi LH, Zhao XQ, Xu YH, Bai FW*. 2014. Assessment and regression analysis on instant catapult steam explosion pretreatment for corn stover. Bioresource Technology 166:368-372.
24. Ismail KS, Sakamoto T, Hasunuma T, Zhao XQ, Kondo A*. 2014. Zinc, magnesium and calcium ion supplementation confers tolerance to acetic acid stress in industrial Saccharomyces cerevisiae utilizing xylose. Biotechnology Journal 4(28):364-371.
25. Zhao N, Bai Y, Zhao XQ, Xu JF, Bai FW. 2014. The flocculating Zymomonas mobilis is a promising host for fuel ethanol production from lignocellulosic biomass. Biotechnology Journal 9(3):362-371.
26. Alam A, Wan C, Guo SL, Zhao XQ*, Huang ZY, Yang YL, Chang JS, Bai FW. 2014. Characterization of the flocculating agent from the spontaneously flocculating microalga Chlorella vulgaris JSC-7. Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology 118(1): 29-33.
27. Wan C, Bai FW. Zhao XQ*. 2013. Effect of nitrogen concentration and media replacement on cell growth and lipid production of oleaginous marine microalga Nannochloropsis oceanica DUT01. Biochemical Engineering Journal 78: 32-38.
28. Guo SL, Zhao XQ*, Wan C, Huang ZY, Yang YL, Md. Alam A, Ho SH, Bai FW, Chang JS. 2013. Characterization of flocculating agent from the self-flocculating microalga Scenedesmus obliquus AS-6-1 for efficient biomass harvest. Bioresource Technology 145: 285-289.
29. Wan C, Zhao XQ*, Guo SL, Alam A, Bai FW. 2013. Bioflocculant production from Solibacillus silvestris W01 and its application in cost-effective harvest of marine microalga Nannocloropsis oceanica by flocculation, Bioresource Technology 135: 207-212.
30. Zuo Q, Zhao XQ*, Xiong L, Liu HJ, Xu YH, Hu SY, Ma ZY, Zhu QW, Bai FW. 2013. Fine-tuning of xylose metabolism in genetically engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae by scattered integration of xylose assimilation genes. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 440(2): 241-244.
31. Chen CY, Zhao XQ, Yen HW, Ho SH, Cheng CL, Lee DJ, Bai FW, Jo-Shu Chang*. 2013. Microalgae-based carbohydrates for biofuel production. Biochemical Engineering Journal 78: 1-10.
32. Wang L, Zhao XQ, Xue C, Bai FW*. 2013. Impact of osmotic stress and ethanol inhibition in yeast cells on process oscillation associated with continuous very-high-gravity ethanol fermentation. Biotechnol Biofuels 6:133.
33. Xue C, Zhao XQ, Liu CG, Chen LJ, Bai FW*. 2013. Prospective and development of biobutanol as an advanced biofuel. Biotechnology Advances 31(8):1575-84.
34. Yuan WJ, Zhao XQ, Chen LJ, Bai FW*. 2013. Improved ethanol production in Jerusalem Artichoke tubers by overexpression of inulinase gene in Kluyveromyces marxianus. Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering 18: 721-727.
35. Yuan WJ, Li NN, Zhao XQ, Chen LJ, Kong L, Bai FW*. 2013. Engineering an industrial Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain with the inulinase gene for more efficient ethanol production from Jerusalem artichoke tubers. Engineering in Life Sciences 13: 472–478.
36. Liu Z, Zhao XQ*, Bai FW. 2013. Production of xylanase by an alkaline-tolerant marine-derived Streptomyces viridochromogenes strain and improvement by ribosome engineering. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 97: 4361-4368.
Other publications in the past 12 years
37. Guo SL, Zhao XQ*, Tang Y, Md. Alam A, Wan C, Ho SH, Bai FW, Chang JS. 2012. Establishment of an efficient genetic transformation system in Scenedesmus obliquus. Journal of Biotechnology 163(1): 61-68.
38. Zhao N, Bai Y, Zhao XQ*, Yang ZY, Bai FW*. 2012. Draft Genome sequence of the flocculating Zymomonas mobilis strain ZM401 (ATCC 31822). Journal of Bacteriology 194(24): 7008-7009.
39. He LY, Zhao XQ*, Bai FW*. 2012. Engineering industrial Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain with the FLO1-derivative gene isolated from the flocculating yeast SPSC01 for constitutive flocculation and fuel ethanol production. Applied Energy 100: 33-40.
40. He LY, Zhao XQ, Bai FW*. 2012. Identification and functional study of a new FLO10-derivative gene from the industrial flocculating yeast SPSC01. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 39(8): 1135-1140.
41. Zhao XQ, Li Q, He L, Li F, Que W, Bai FW*. 2012. Exploration of a natural reservoir of flocculating genes from various Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains and improved ethanol fermentation using stable genetically engineered flocculating yeast strains. Process Biochemistry 47(11): 1612-1619.
42. Zhao XQ, Bai FW*. 2012. Zinc and yeast stress tolerance: micronutrient plays a big role. Journal of Biotechnology 158: 176-183.
43. Li Q, Zhao XQ*, Chang AK, Zhang QM, Bai FW*. 2012. Ethanol-induced yeast flocculation directed by the promoter of TPS1encoding trehalose-6-phosphate synthase 1 for efficient ethanol production. Metabolic Engineering 14: 1-8.
44. Xue C, Zhao XQ*, Bai FW*. 2010. Effect of the size of yeast flocs and zinc supplementation on continuous ethanol fermentation performance and metabolic flux distribution under very high gravity conditions. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 105: 935-944
45. Li F, Zhao XQ, Ge XM, Bai FW*. 2009. An innovative consecutive batch fermentation process for very high gravity ethanol fermentation with self-flocculating yeast. Applied Microbiology Biotechnology 84: 1079-1086.
46. Shen Y, Zhao XQ, Ge XM, Bai FW*. 2009. Mechanistic exploitation for process oscillations in continuous VHG ethanol fermentation with Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biotechnology Advances 27: 1118-1123.
47. Zhao XQ, Bai FW*. 2009. Yeast flocculation: new story in fuel ethanol production. Biotechnology Advances 29: 849-856.
48. Zhao XQ, Bai FW*. 2009. Mechanism of yeast ethanol tolerance and its manipulation for efficient fuel ethanol production. Journal of Biotechnology 27: 849-856.
49. Zhao XQ, Xue C, Ge XM, Wang JY, Yuan WJ, Bai FW*. 2009. Impact of zinc supplementation on the improvement of ethanol tolerance and ethanol yield of self-flocculating yeast in continuous ethanol fermentation. Journal of Biotechnology 139: 55-60.
50. Xue C, Zhao XQ*, Yuan WJ, Bai FW*. 2008. Improving ethanol tolerance of a self-flocculating yeast by optimization of medium composition, World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 24: 2257-2261.
51. Yuan WJ, Zhao XQ, Ge XM, Bai FW*. 2008. Ethanol fermentation with Kluyveromyces marxianus from Jerusalem artichoke grown in salina and irrigated with a mixture of seawater and freshwater, Journal of Applied Microbiology 105: 2076-2083.
52. Lei JJ, Zhao XQ*, Ge XM, Bai FW. 2007. Ethanol tolerance and the variation of plasma membrane composition of yeast floc populations with different size distribution. Journal of Biotechnology 131: 270-275.
53. Xu TJ, Zhao XQ, Bai FW*. 2005. Continuous ethanol production using self-flocculating yeast in a cascade of fermentors. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 37: 634-640.
54. Ge XM, Zhao XQ, Bai FW*. 2005. Online monitoring and characterization of flocculating yeast cell flocs during continuous ethanol fermentation. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 90: 523-31.